Every month, developers Niantic host a special Community Day in the popular AR game Pokémon GO. On this day, a single Pokémon is given a special spotlight, appearing more often in the wild with special moves, bonus candy, and greater chances of finding a shiny variation.
So what makes August so special? Because it features one of the arguably most famous Pokémon there ever was: Magikarp.
That’s right, folks. The infamously useless fish Pokémon will be the king of the August Community Day. On August 8, 2020, from 11 AM to 5 PM local time, a number of special features will activate, all relating to the big red fish. Here are the details.
- Magikarp will appear more often in the wild.
- There is an increased chance of finding a Shiny Magikarp.
- Event exclusive field research will reward extra Magikarp candy.
- Evolving a Magikarp during or up to 2 hours after the event will result in a Gyarados with the Aqua Tail attack.
- Catching Pokémon will result in triple stardust rewards.
- The August Community Day Box will become available in the store, containing 30 Ultra Balls, an Elite Charged TM, six Star Pieces, and an Incense.
It will also introduce a paid special event research. Costing $1 USD, players will gain access to a special event arc surrounding Magikarp.