The second season of the GO Battle League is nearly over. And in anticipation for the next one, Niantic has released a recap of the current season as well as the details of Season 3!
GO Battle League Season 2 Recap
With an impressive level of participation, Season 2 saw over one billion battles take place. Participating trainers that reached rank 10 earned a new avatar pose. This was also their first test run of the Premier Cup format, which they will be continuing in Season 3 after positive feedback. Rewards for Season 2 will be available on July 27, at the beginning of the next season.
GO Battle League Season 3 Dates and Details
Season 3 will begin on Monday, July 27, 2020. It will follow the same rotation format as the last season, outlines here:
- TheGreat League runs from July 27 until August 10
- The Ultra League runs from August 10 until August 24. This will include a Premier Cup with a 2500 CP limit
- The Master League runs from August 24 until September 7. This will include a Premier Cup with no CP limit
- All three leagues, along with the Premier Cups, will be available again from September 7 until September 14.
- Season 4 will begin at the end of all this, on September 14.
Note that these details may be subject to change. You never know what events might occur.
A few rules will stay the same in Season 3. This includes the following:
- There will be no walking requirement to battle in the leagues.
- The friendship level required to battle remotely will be “Good Friends” and QR scans for battles will remain an option for remote battles.
- Pikachu Libre avatar item will remain the Rank 7 award.
- Rank progression will remain the same format.
That said, there will also be a number of changes this time around. They are as follows:
- Introducing the Flying Cup. This is a bonus cup that only flying type Pokémon can participate in. Details about this cup will be revealed at a later date.
- The Battle Until You Win feature has been removed after trainer feedback.
- Guaranteed reward encounters will now take place at rank 1, 4, 7, 8, 9, and 10.
- For the premium rewards track, you’ll now earn Rare Candies after your fourth win. The number of Rare Candies rewarded will be reduced from eight to six.
Niantic also mentions two League themed events for the near future, but has not listed any details at this time.
The developers have also tweaked a number of attacks in preparation for the new season. Full details on those changes can be found on the official change log.